Sunday, January 3, 2016

Forget Success. Are you Shining? (Part I)

It is time to take a different view of success and the way we think about the word, put it on the shelf awhile, and instead use the word,  "shine".   I have learned over the years that when you're living at your best, you are enjoying the process of whatever you're doing, and not attached to the results.  Yet, we continue to compare ourselves to an idea of achievement, a level of success that is to be attained based on how we happen to view the world.  If we don't achieve it, we feel unsuccessful, depressed, anxious, etc.  Success is a level attained, a comparison, a past moment.  We need to change our thinking from a past or non active state to base success on an active vibrant state, "shining".  Shining is active, it is an every moment of being that you say I'm alive, happy, at peace and free! And in that state you are showing your brilliance or excellence at something (the formal definition of shining), which could just be living or being.  Because the word, success, is commonly used and has certain preconceived notions attached to it, you couldn't use "succeeding" to make it more active.  It wouldn't bring about the kind of transformation we need to break from the chains of success.  Success is more tangible, achievement oriented, past tense.  When someone comments that a person is successful it usually relates to a judgment about the person's status, financial, career, house, etc.   We want to move from this idea of success toward saying, "That person shines".

The truth is, no matter how hard we may try to make success about money, careers,  house, cars, our standing in the community, our kids, how many friends we think we have, our connections, etc., this is not it.  If you have any of these, but are not smiling, not happy, not "shining" what good is it?  We need a shift in thinking from: Am I successful? Am I succeeding? To: Am I shining? Am I lighting up the world?

So, instead of believing thoughts like I'll be successful when....... I become rich, have a nice house, get the job, etc., it becomes a daily, moment to moment living of showing your brilliance, and being happy, at peace, free? Free of attachment to a tangible, physical item or an intangible achievement. 

The beauty of shining is that when you shine, you may be doing so without even knowing it.  Deep inside you're remembering who you are. 

You were born to shine.

Are you shining?


Ben

© 2015 Ben's Pebble

5 comments:

  1. Good points. Here's to shining a light on what we want in 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  2. True that! We often get lost in the worldly things, and often forget to see small things that give happiness and focus even lesser on providing happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some days, I'm shining; some days, I'm THE Shining. :) But yes, what's the point of having all the trappings of success without having any joy or happiness, and dying of a stroke or heart attack before retirement? Not one of my aspirational goals, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am shining sometimes and, other times, the light seems to go out. I've had some great adventures in my life and I intend to have more so I guess I am shining, at least a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a difference a shift in perspective can make! I love the idea of shining... it's something that comes from within, whereas the whole idea of success is that it comes from someone else. Great post!

    ReplyDelete