Friday, January 8, 2016

Goal Goal, Everywhere a Goal


Since the beginning of the year is a popular time to set goals, I thought I would share some thoughts.

As I’m working on my goals, I like to keep the following quote in mind:
“When there is no goal, then there is peace and stillness.  And until one has discovered that, one would go on seeking and searching and wanting and longing because they feel unfulfilled.  I tell you, unfulfillment is not the law of life.  In life there is no lack.  And as long as we know lack, we must have the goal.  Once we have the goal, we must have the conflict within.  These are the deceptions we need to realize the truth of and in so doing you’re religious.”   Tara Singh from audio tape “Simplicity and the Art of Living”

After reading this quote you may think, why would I even have a goal?  As long as I keep it in its proper place, it is ok to have a goal.  But here is the trick: I was about to say, “My number one goal is to have inner peace.  So, if having a goal prevents that, then yes I would not have a goal.”  You may wonder what is wrong with saying this.  Let me add a statement from an audience member in the Tara Sing audio that occurred just before the quote above, “Then the goal is no longer something that needs to be sought after, it’s an inheritance that was only possible in that moment..then it’s gone…..”  My goal of peace, noble as it may be, is conflicted because it is something I’m seeking instead of experiencing it in the moment, and allowing the next moment to be new.

If I have a goal that keeps me searching, seeking and wanting, then I believe I have to attain something instead of realizing that I have everything.

Keeping this perspective separates the goals I may have due to some lack in me, versus a goal that I have from a place of being fulfilled.  As a fulfilled person I may say, “what is calling me?”, versus, “I am miserable and unhappy and my goal is to make more money, get a new job, get in shape because deep down I think having the money, job or health will solve my unhappiness.”

To you who have been given the gift of everything, happy goal setting.

Ben
© 2015 Ben's Pebble

No comments:

Post a Comment